Serving the Miami Beach, FL community
Are you an adult with crooked teeth? Have you given up on a straighter smile thinking you have already passed the window of opportunity for traditional orthodontics?
What if you could have straight teeth without the metal?
There is an alternative – millions of adults have had their smiles transformed with Invisalign clear aligners. Orthodontic treatment isn’t just for kids anymore!
Find out about invisible braces by talking to Dr. Yuchen Sheng. Regardless of your age, you don’t have to go through the rest of your life with teeth that are not aligned properly. Give Radiant Smiles Family Dental a call today at (305) 532-6977 to find out more.
- What is Invisalign?
- What’s the process like for getting Invisalign?
- Who should get Invisalign?
- Why is Invisalign a good choice for adults?
- What are the advantages of Invisalign compared to metal braces?
- How long will my Invisalign treatment take?
- Are there any drawbacks to Invisalign treatment?
- How long do I have to wear Invisalign each day?
- Do I have to wear a retainer after Invisalign treatment?
- What are the oral health benefits of straighter teeth?
- How can I learn more about Invisalign to see if they're right for me?
What is Invisalign?
At Radiant Smiles Family Dentistry, we want to provide you with options that make sense for you. Invisalign is a short-term adult orthodontic treatment that is easy to use, easy to maintain, and corrects many of the same problems as metal braces.
Treatment with Invisalign consists of a series of customized aligners that are virtually invisible when worn. If you can visualize a mouth guard, you have some idea of what an Invisalign aligner tray looks like. But imagine that the aligner is crystal clear and conforms perfectly to the shape, size, and contours of your teeth.
What’s the process like for getting Invisalign?
Dr. Yuchen Sheng is a Certified Invisalign Provider, which means she has the training and skill needed to provide Invisalign treatment. Once we determine that you’re a good candidate, she takes images and x-rays of your teeth and uses them with specialized software to create a 3-D model of your teeth.
Using this model as a guide, Dr. Sheng maps out a step-by-step plan that predicts the movement of your teeth through each stage of treatment. We send your treatment plan to an Invisalign lab where skilled technicians customize several sets of aligners designed to move your teeth into the desired position sequentially.
When we receive your Invisalign aligners, we’ll have your return to our Miami dental office so you can pick them up and receive instructions for using and caring for them properly.
Who should get Invisalign?
Invisalign invisible braces are an excellent option for older teens and any adults who don’t want or need to commit to traditional braces. Not only are the clear plastic aligners discreet, but we can straighten your teeth in less time and without the need for a mouthful of uncomfortable brackets and wires.
Why is Invisalign a good choice for adults?
You most likely have heard of Invisalign clear braces because they have been used widely for almost 20 years. But you may not understand how the system works or why people choose Invisalign over other types of orthodontics.
- The clear aligners blend with your smile, so no one has to know you're having your teeth straightened.
- You can take your aligners out for meals, so there are no food restrictions with Invisalign as there are with traditional braces.
- You will also remove the aligners for brushing and flossing, which makes it easy to keep up with your good oral hygiene.
- Unlike traditional orthodontics, there are less frequent visits to the dentist during treatment, making it easier on adults with full schedules.
What are the advantages of Invisalign compared to metal braces?
If you’ve heard a lot of positive things about treatment with Invisalign, it’s because its unique method of moving teeth offers numerous benefits:
- Discreet – Crystal-clear aligners hug your teeth and are virtually invisible when worn. No one has to know that you are having your teeth straightened!
- Comfortable – The smooth, comfortable plastic aligners conform perfectly to the contours of your teeth. You don’t have to deal with metal wires or brackets that poke into the tender tissues in your mouth.
- Convenient – Since you can take out your Invisalign trays, there are no food restrictions, and you can brush and floss as usual.
- Fast treatment – For adults who have mild to moderate tooth misalignment, average treatment times are 12 to 15 months instead of years for traditional braces.
How long will my Invisalign treatment take?
Every patient is different, and the length of time it takes to straighten your teeth depends on the complexity and cause of the malposition of the teeth. Here are a few things you need to know about treatment:
- The Invisalign system moves teeth gently with a series of clear plastic aligners.
- You start with the first set of aligners and wear them at least 22 hours a day for two weeks.
- At the end of the two weeks, you will “graduate” to the next set of aligners in the series. You continue this way until treatment is complete.
The number of sets of aligners you will need varies depending on your needs. If your treatment takes a year and you wear each set for two weeks, you can figure about 20 to 30 sets. Correcting milder cases can be completed with as few as ten sets, while more complex cases may require as many as fifty.
Are there any drawbacks to Invisalign treatment?
There are no drawbacks to Invisalign treatment, but compliance can be an issue, so you do have to remember that the aligners only work when you’re wearing them. This sounds obvious, but since you have the freedom to remove your aligners for meals and oral hygiene, you must discipline yourself to put your trays back in and wear them for 22 to 23 hours a day.
Committing to wearing your aligners except for eating and oral hygiene ensures the fastest results. And isn’t that one of the reasons you chose Invisalign in the first place?
How long do I have to wear Invisalign each day?
We instruct our Invisalign patients in Miami Beach to wear their aligners for a minimum of 22 hours each day throughout treatment. It’s important to follow this guideline if you want to achieve the desired result. Treatment times vary between patients, but most can expect to wear the aligners for as short a time as six months or as long as 18 months.
Another benefit of Invisalign is that with the removable aligners, you get to watch your progress as you undergo treatment. For most people, this provides all the incentive they need to ensure they wear the aligners for the allotted time each day.
Do I have to wear a retainer after Invisalign treatment?
Yes. When you consider straightening your teeth, it’s a good idea to get comfortable with the idea that wearing your retainers is the second step in the process. Your teeth move to some extent throughout your life and not wearing your retainer as instructed by Dr. Sheng can allow your teeth to relapse quickly and lead to the need for retreatment.
What are the oral health benefits of straighter teeth?
Straightening your teeth with Invisalign can dramatically improve the appearance of your smile. But did you know that straight teeth also promote better oral health? Teeth that are crowded or crooked are often a challenge to floss and keep clean. Crowded teeth more easily develop plaque because bacteria can get stuck in the nooks and crannies misaligned teeth create.
Having crooked or overlapped teeth can also throw your bite out of alignment, and you might even feel pain when you are chewing.
How can I learn more about Invisalign to see if it's right for me?
If you would like to learn more about the benefits of Invisalign treatment at our Miami Beach dental office, please schedule a consultation with Dr. Yuchen Sheng to find out more about Invisalign and how much time might be needed to create the smile you desire. She will personally design your Invisalign treatment to get the best results possible.